Subject: Re: Allow changing configuration options with environment variables
From: Ondřej Jirman
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 04:09:00 +0100
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 07, 2020 at 06:43:56PM -0800, Ryan Delaney wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Reading secrets from environment variables is generally safer than reading
> them from plain text files on disk. Reading secrets from command-line
> arguments is also contraindicated because:

I know. Having options is good though.

> 1. It is likely to be stored in the shell history

Environment vars can also leak to history, if you set them interactively
on the command line.

> 2. It is certain that all arguments are leaked to the process table
> <https://www.netmeister.org/blog/passing-passwords.html>

Right.

> Also, allowing configuration options to be set with environment variables
> would enable convenient integration with direnv <https://direnv.net> for
> using per-directory settings.
>
> Possible options might include:
>
> MEGA_CONFIG_FILE Path to read the megarc from. All other configs ignored.
> MEGA_USERNAME
> MEGA_PASSWORD

I wouldn't mind these. ^ It should be pretty simple to implement
if you want to try.

Proper solution would be to use some credentials agent, though. Since
even with env vars you'll typically have those stored somewhere - in the
script, in shell init file, set the interactively, etc. And it's all
prone to leaking via rogue same-uid process. So in the end it's at the
same level as putting password to megarc file.

The most secure option megatool has for passing credentials is that it will ask
for the password interactively if you don't specify it.

> MEGA_SPEED_LIMIT Set both the upload and download speed limits
> MEGA_DOWNLOAD_LIMIT Override other settings for the download speed limit
> MEGA_UPLOAD_LIMIT Override other settings for the download speed limit
> MEGA_CREATE_PREVIEWS If set, create previews
> MEGA_NOCREATE_PREVIEWS If set, do not create previews
> MEGA_PROXY Proxy URL, e.g. for SOCKS/tor etc
> MEGA_CACHE_TIMEOUT Cache timeout in seconds (default: 6000)

But I wouldn't like overdoing it with the rest. ^ :)

regards,
	o.