Subject: (No Subject)
From: Terri
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 05:50:24 +0000
Hi,

Not sure if you're aware that mega.nz recently released a security upgrade that has a major effect on megatools' ability to function as intended. A little info about the security upgrade here: https://blog.mega.io/e2ee-security-update/.

Here's the relevant portions:

> Upgrade path: How does it work?
> As long as you use only old (vulnerable) software versions, nothing will change for you. But once your account touches a new software version for the first time, it will be upgraded (you may see a message with details when that happens). The new version will only be able to establish and accept shared folders with and from new versions, and mutual public key verification is mandatory. Existing shared folders will continue to work. New shared folders established between old versions on an upgraded account will be invisible to new versions and vice versa, so be sure to upgrade before creating new shared folders.
>
> Third-Party Client Software
> Client software based on the MEGA SDK will need to be upgraded to the latest SDK version as soon as possible...

The security upgrade has now made it not possible for megatools to access files and folders that are protected with the new security. It essentially looks like the files and/or folders don't exist in the mega account. For example, on accounts that have a mix of folders with share links generated before and after the security was upgraded, running megatools ls -u myemail -p mypassword --reloaddoesn't show the folders with the new links nor their contents. Only the folders (along with their contents) that is still using the old security (links generated before the security was upgraded) is listed. Also, these types of errors occur:
WARNING: Skipping import of a key 8F8C0KbY because it's authentication failed

** (megatools ls:7144): CRITICAL **: 12:29:04.359: b64_aes128_decrypt: assertion 'key != NULL' failedWARNING: Skipping FS node 8F8C0KbY because key can't be decrypted IX_Ry4Zl42VYX3MjOhSr7A

Running megatools df -u email -p password --reload show these types of errors:
WARNING: Skipping import of a key 8F8C0KbY because it's authentication failed
WARNING: Skipping import of a key cQ9gDQTI because it's authentication failed

** (megatools df:12780): CRITICAL **: 14:59:35.610: b64_aes128_decrypt: assertion 'key != NULL' failedWARNING: Skipping FS node 8F8C0KbY because key can't be decrypted IX_Ry4Zl42VYX3MjOhSr7A

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks,